Welcome to Just Blog. My hope is that this blog will be a place to discuss and promote justice issues. The focus will be on topics such as:
- the prison system, prisoners’ rights and penal abolition
- immigration detention/security certificates
- other types of carceral spaces where people are held against their will (eg. psychiatric institutions)
- harm reduction (safer sex, drug use, tattooing, etc.)
- how the media creates and perpetuates myths related to crime, drug use, homelessness, race, class (the list goes on and on)
- legislation and other government actions related to justice issues
- root causes of crime, such as social inequalities
- drug policy reform
If individuals or organizations have events they want to promote, I’m happy to post them here. I will also be looking for guest posters to write about the types of issues I’ve mentioned above.
There is one ground rule: respectful communication. Discussion and debate is encouraged, but anything resembling hate speech or discriminatory language will not be tolerated. As the moderator of this blog, I reserve the right to delete posts and ban posters who cross that line.
To be very clear, hate speech is defined as: Speech not protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification.
So welcome, and let’s be good to one another.
Just Blog is sponsored by Rittenhouse: A New Vision. Founded in 1990 by Ruth Morris, Rittenhouse is an agency dedicated to bringing healing justice (transformative justice) instead of retributive justice in our criminal justice system. We seek healing justice through community education around alternatives to prison; and advocacy and support for prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families.